Saturday, November 21, 2015

Anchorman (2004) - All smiles and just a couple of LOLs

Review : 0002
Title : Anchorman: The Legend Of Ron Burgundy
Year : 2004
Director : Adam McKay
Country : United States
World’s Verdict : Rotten Tomatoes – 66%; IMDB – 7.2 out of 10.0.
My Verdict : 2.9 out of 5.0.


We all know that Will Ferrell is very funny.  Just thinking about Blades of Glory (2007) makes me smile, it’s one of the funniest movies I have ever watched.  Anyway, it’s time for me to judge a Ferrell film, Anchorman: The Legend of Ron Burgundy (2004).  This is my first time to watch this film, according to reviews this is a good film but somehow I beg to differ.

Characters: 

  • Ron Burgundy (Will Ferrell) - an Emmy Award-winning journalist and the main anchorman for a fictional Channel 4 News.
  • Veronica Corningstone (Christina Applegate) – an ambitious staff member who wants to become an anchor.
  • Brian Fantana (Paul Rudd) – a field reporter who thinks too much sex.
  • Brick Tamland (Steve Carell) - the stupid weatherman.
  • Champion Kind (David Koechner) – the annoying sportscaster.


Unspoiled Plot:

  • Ron Burgundy and his alpha-male newscasters holds the top spot in TV news rating.
  • The producer hires an ambitious female journalist, Veronica.  She becomes the target of sexist jokes by the rest of the alpha male newscasters.
  • Ron and Veronica start to go on romantic dates.
  • Ron fails to report for the 6 o’clock news one time.  Veronica does the job in being an anchor for that evening.
  • Veronica’s successful anchor stint triggers Ron’s jealousy and sparks a silly rivalry between them.
  • You better watch the movie to know if:
    • Veronica will become a permanent anchor
    • Veronica and Ron will continue their romantic relationship
    • Ron will retain his status as the most famous news anchor


Top Reasons Why You Should Watch Anchorman:

  • Most of the scenes will make you smile. It’s is not the type of comedy that would make you roll on the floor laughing.
  • Cameos.  The  appearances of other comedian and dramatic actors are a surprise treat.


Top Reasons Why Anchorman Is A Waste of Time:

  • It is pure silliness.  Stupid plot, moronic people, impossible settings.  Don’t get me wrong, I like this type of films, as I have mentioned I liked Blades of Glory.  But if you want to create this type of movie you should be able to make it very very funny and not just “half funny”.
  • Sex Jokes.  This is almost a sex comedy with no nudity.  It’s just not my cup of tea.
  • Steve Carrell is a flop in this film. I love Steve Carrell in the TV series The Office but not in this movie.  I think it’s his underwhelming character that made him so corny in Anchorman.  So corny that when I was watching it I dread to see his next scene and hear his next line.


Conclusion and Recommendation:

  • Did I like the film? Not really.
  • When will I watch it again?  Never, but I might watch Anchorman 2 (2013).
  • Would I recommend it for you to watch it?  No.

Let me know if you agree with me by writing on the comments section below.


No comments:

Post a Comment