Monday, November 30, 2015

Life Of Brian (1979) - An extended classic gag show

Review : 0004
Title : Monty Python’s Life Of Brian
Year : 1979
Director : Terry Jones
Country : United Kingdom
World’s Verdict : Rotten Tomatoes – 96%; Metacritic – 75 out of 100; IMDB – 8.1 out of 10.0.
My Verdict : 2.9 out of 5.0.


I was looking for the funniest movie, one that would make me laugh out loud, and my research told me that Monty Python’s Life Of Brian is one of the funniest movies ever made.  Sadly, it wasn’t hilarious as I thought it would be.  It’s funny but it failed to make me laugh hard.


Life Of Brian starred and written by the Monty Python (a British comedy group).  It tells the tale of Brian Cohen, a man who was born on the same day as Jesus.  His adventure started when he joined a rebel group that fights the Roman who conquered Judea.  His life turned into a series of misadventures, falling in love, being captured by Romans, escaping Pontius Pilate’s guards, becoming an accidental prophet, flying with UFOs in space and being crucified.  Brian’s life was almost futile but in the end he chose to look at the bright side of life. 


This movie is a comedy gag show.  It’s a historical and religious satire and the jokes are still true to this day.

This is a type of film that will make you smile a lot and will make you think of the satirical references.  I enjoyed watching it but it doesn’t have a lot of LOL moments.

Almost forgot, this movie has one of the best uplifting songs in cinema history.

Did I like the movie?  A little.  I was a little disappointed because I thought I would be as funny as the reviews said it was .  Am I going to watch it again?  Yes and will also watch other Monty Python movies.  Would I recommend it to you?  Yes but do not watch it with kids.



No comments:

Post a Comment