Thursday, December 10, 2015

Hereafter (2010) - It's simple, it's real and it's also unreal

Review : 0006
Title : Hereafter
Year : 2010
Director : Clint Eastwood
Country : United States
World’s Verdict : Rotten Tomatoes – 46%; Metacritic – 56 out of 100; IMDB – 6.5 out of 10.0.
My Verdict : 3.6 out of 5.0.



A couple of years back when I saw Hereafter I was captivated by the theme and by the story, I believe I even shed a little tear.  A few days ago I watched the film again and somehow it lost a little luster but I still think it is a good film.



Hereafter is a story of the lives of three people and how death affects them.  A French woman (Cecile de France) experienced a near-death experience and it changed how she views life.  An American man (Matt Damon) has the ability to interact with dead people from the dimension of the dead and somehow he doesn't like using the "I see dead people" super power.  A British boy (Frankie McLaren) looks for answers after his twin brother died.




What Went Right
  • Cecile de France and Frankie McLaren - they were perfect for this movie.  De France acting was natural and believable and McLaren was good in projecting loneliness and pain.
  • The feel of the movie was leaning on reality rather than fantasy.  You will forget that Hereafter is a supernatural story.  It is like how most of us view death, we know its real but in the back of our mind the hereafter is probably just a fantasy.  A possible fantasy worth studying by the way.
  • Special effect - The tsunami effect at the start of the movie looked very real and very horrifying and that just hooked me.  After seeing that scene I know it's gonna be a good film.

What Went Wrong
  • Matt Damon - Don't get me wrong, Matt was fairly good in this movie, but there were times that I found him too big a star to be in this movie.  Sometimes the real-feel effect becomes a fantasy because of the celebrity being in the film.

This movie has gotten mixed reviews but I like this movie.  It may not be on my favorite list but I really like it.  It's simple, it's real and it's unreal.  I would like you to watch it and if you did not like it tell me what part you didn't like.  I'm really curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment